Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Anchor Anderson Cooper Reveals He's Gay

It's becoming a trend for figures in the public eye to expose their orientation on their own terms.

Like Ellen DeGeneres and ABC News correspondent Dan Kloeffler, CNN anchor and talk show host Anderson Cooper has come out of the closet in a lengthy letter to his friend and Daily Beast political writer Andrew Sullivan, who sought Cooper's feedback on well-known individuals in the LGBT community. 

The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud," writes Cooper. Though his sexuality has been a topic of interest in the press, specifically in the 2008 cover story for Out Magazine, this is his first outward statement.

"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."

Though never going into detail about his relationship status, the seasoned reporter considers his open declaration a valuable sign of the times. "There continues to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand."
He adds, "I love, and I am loved."

No comments:

Post a Comment