Friday, November 8, 2013

Tom Cruise Admits Scientology Played Role in Katie Holmes Divorce

The actress said one of the reasons she left him was to protect their daughter from the religion, according to a new deposition.

Tom Cruise Headshot - P 2013The admission came in a Sept. 9 oral deposition filed recently as part of Cruise's ongoing defamation suit against Bauer Media over its In Touch cover story, "Abandoned by Daddy." 

In the deposition, Cruise admits that Holmes said one of the reasons she left him was to protect their daughter, Suri, from Scientology.

Cruise first lashes out when lawyers for Bauer ask him if he believes it's false that Holmes divorced him "in part to protect Suri from Scientology."

“Listen, I find that question offensive,” he said. “I find it -- those statements offensive. And like with any relationship, there are many different levels to it. You know, I -- I find it very offensive. There is no need to protect my daughter from my religion."

But the attorney pushes further, asking, "And Ms. Holmes has never indicated in any way that was one of the reasons she left you? … To protect Suri from Scientology?"

"Did she say that? That was one of the assertions, yes," he says, before noting that neither Suri nor Holmes are practicing Scientology now.

Cruised also slams the In Touch cover story that prompted his suit.

"I mean, come on, that is absolutely disgusting," Cruise said. "That is absolutely disgusting. And I have to tell you, with everything -- listen, I am a public person, I absolutely understand. For me there is -- I tolerate a tremendous amount and I'm very privileged to be able to have the life that I have, and I believe that. But there is a line that -- that I draw for myself -- and that’s it."

In another set of papers from the deposition, it's revealed that Cruise once didn't see Suri for 100 days.
The Hollywood Reporter has reached out to reps for Cruise, Holmes and the Church of Scientology for comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment